The Illinois Child Labor Law requires employers to secure and
keep on file Employment Certificates (work permits) for children
under 16 years of age. The Regional Superintendent of
Schools acts as the issuing officer for the Department of
Labor.The permits are issued after all requirements of the Law
have been met (Sec. 12, IL Child Labor Law).
OBTAINING A WORK PERMIT FOR A
- Applications may be obtained in our office.
- The four forms include:
- Employer Statement -When you find a job, you need a "letter of
intent to hire" from the prospective employer. It must outline the
hours you will be working and what you will be doing.
- Letter of Approval - A parent or guardian must grant the minor
permission to work.
- Physical Fitness Form - Provide the completed form or a
copy of a health exam completed within the last year.
- Principal Statement - To be completed by the principal (if the
minor will be working during the school year)
- Once the paperwork is completed, the minor AND the parent or
guardian must bring the forms to our office with an official birth
certificate and the minor's Social
Work Permit Requirements