Winnebago County Logo

Juvenile Detention Center Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Juvenile Detention Center located?

  • Juvenile Detention Center is located at 5350 Northrock Drive, Rockford, Illinois 61101.  

What are important telephone numbers I should know?

What are the visiting hours of the Detention Center?

  • Minors lodged on Adult Charges:           Monday               1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
                                                             Thursday             6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
  • Minors Lodged on Juvenile Charges:      Friday                  6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
                                                             Sunday                1:00 pm - 2:30 pm

How do I contact my child?

  • Parents and siblings are allowed to correspond with minors via US Mail.  Incoming phone calls to the minors in the facility are not allowed.

How long will my child be held in Detention?

  • A number of factors affect the length of time a minor will stay in the detention center.  These factors include the severity of the crime with which the minor is charged; the speed at which necessary information is made available to the court; and the availability of suitable living arrangements for the minor when they are released. 

How does my child attend school?

  • Three District 205 special education teachers and a para-professional instruct students throughout the year, including the summer months. 

What if my child needs a haircut?

  • Arrangements can be made for a personal barber or beautician to come to the facility for haircuts.  Any cost associated with this service is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian.

My child takes medication or has medical needs.  How is that addressed? 

  • The detention center has nursing staff on site between 8 AM and 10 AM as well as 8 PM and 10 PM every day.  The nursing staff coordinates the distribution of all medication and how medical needs can best be addressed in the facility.  Parents or Legal Guardians are financially responsible for providing all prescription medications as well as for any emergency or ongoing medical services which are deemed necessary by our medical provider. 

Can I bring food/snacks to my child in Detention?

  • All food and snack items are provided by the facility.  Parents may donate snack food items to the facility with the understanding that it will be used as part of the points program (token economy) and that their child will have to use points to purchase the item(s) if they are available when it is their turn to spend points.

Can I set up a tour of the detention center for my child?

  • Due to both security and confidentiality issues, tours of the secure portions of the facility by individuals under the age of 21 are not allowed unless they are in a recognized College Degree program and a tour has been set up by their College.  The Detention Superintendent will meet with young people and their parents to discuss what the facility is like and the programming which occurs in detention.  Individuals interested in a meeting such as this should call the facility at 815-516-2980 for more information.

How do I get my child admitted into the Detention Center?

  • Admission to the center is based on a variety of factors which have been translated into a           screening instrument.  Minors presented by the police for admission are evaluated based on a      number of factors and only those meeting the established criteria are lodged in the facility.

Can I have a copy of the police report?

  • The arresting agency has procedures as to when police reports are accessible to the public.  Individuals requesting a copy of the police report need to contact the individual police department to determine their policy on the release of juvenile police reports.  For an arrest by Winnebago County Sheriff's Department call 815-319-6100.  For an arrest by The Rockford Police Department, call 815-987-5902.

I am interested in an internship.  How do I get more information?

  • College students who are at least 21 years old and who must complete an internship as part of their college course work should call the Superintendent of the Detention Center at 815-516-2980 to discuss their particular situation and obtain the application information.  Interns serve in an unpaid capacity but may be offered paying positions at the completion of their internship depending on available job openings and their job performance during that time.
Facebook Twitter