The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is overseeing a major reconstruction and expansion project in south-central Wisconsin. The I-39/90 Expansion Project extends approximately 45 miles along Interstate 39/90 from the Illinois state line to the US 12/18 interchange near Madison.
- Built in the early 1960s, all of the 11 interchanges along the corridor have outdated design features that contribute to safety concerns.
- With no corrective action, all sections of I-39/90 are expected to operate at unacceptable levels of service, meaning unstable traffic flow and stop-and-go conditions.
- In order to address those safety and congestion concerns, WisDOT is:
- Reconstructing and expanding I-39/90 from four to six lanes;
- Reconfiguring 11 interchanges; and
- Expanding the Interstate to eight lanes (four lanes in each direction), from WIS 11 (Avalon Rd.) north to the WIS 26 interchange, to accommodate projected traffic increases.
The I-39/90 Expansion Project began in 2015 and the mainline project is currently anticipated to be completed in 2021. This does not include the I-39/90 and US 12/18 (Beltline) interchange, which is currently undergoing environmental analysis. Visit the Schedule section to learn more about upcoming construction work.
Stay informed and involved using this site and following our project Facebook page.