Winnebago County
Winnebago County Seal

Veterans Assistance Commission

Mission Statement

The Veterans Assistance Commission of Winnebago County is charged with the responsibility to assist honorably discharged, needy veterans and their families residing in Winnebago County.

Financial Assistance


Assistance provided is based on houshold income and is intended to address necessary needs of shelter, utilities and personal/household hygiene.

A Veteran Must

  • Be a resident of Winnebago County.
  • Present an original or certified copy of your DD-214 and be honorably discharged.
  • Have exhausted all financial resources.
  • Have a LINK card from DHS and an award letter.
  • Be seeking employment, disability or are disabled and unable to work.
  • Provide a photo ID, social security card, if applicable a marriage license, or divorce decree and vehicle registration

Application Process

Veterans wishing to receive assistance may stop in the VAC office located at 555 N Court St. We are on the third floor, Suite 300. Our office hours for walk-in clients and general information begin as 8:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. and from 1 p.m. until 2 p.m.

Please allow enough time for us to server your needs.

Applicants will be asked to sign a release of information. We will also need a copy of the social security of all dependents you will be claiming. Each veteran will be provided an application packet for verification of information and eligibility. Applicants will be given up to 14 days to complete the packet. Please return the packet between the hours of 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. It could take an hour or more to open your case.

You will also need to show your LINK card from DHS and the award letter indicating how much in food you will be eligible for and for how long.

Referrals Services

VA Claims & Advocacy


Winnebago County
404 Elm Street
Rockford, IL 61101
OFC: (815) 319-4444

Facebook Twitter